Host your own Coming to America movie night with Big Micks and all with our best tips, costumes, and quick and easy Instant Pot burger recipe! We share everything you need to create your own Coming to America Theme Party below!
If you’ve not seen Coming to America, it’s an 80s classic! Prince Akeem (Eddie Murphy) is the prince of Zamunda, a wealthy African country, who escapes to America to avoid an arrange marriage.
In America, him and his side kick, Semmi (Arsenio Hall), seek to find him a queen that loves him. Disguised as a poor student in Queens, New York, he romances Lisa (Shari Headley). The struggle to reveal his true identity with her and to let the king (James Earl Jones) know his intentions makes for some classic comedy.
Below we share everything you need to host an epic Coming to America movie night!
What is the theme of Coming to America?
Coming to America includes pop culture in the 80’s. It shows the differences in elite, high, and low culture.
Coming to America Theme Party Ideas
Several celebrities have hosted their own Coming to American themed parties – including Alicia Keys, Jeezy, and Snoop Dog! While our movie nights aren’t as elaborate, they offer great inspiration!
Alicia Keys threw her husband Swizz Beatz a “Coming to America” 36th Birthday party.
We also loved Diane Tackie’s take on Lisa McDowell from the movie! Don’t they look gorgeous?!
Another great Coming to America costume party was on Steve Harvey’s show a few years ago!
We couldn’t find the original owner of this photo, but we love the idea of decorating with gold fabric and using a large chair to create a throne photo-op!
Using this set up and a Zamunda Poster, you can have an awesome theme as soon as people walk in the door!
What to Wear to a Coming to America Movie Night
- Prince Akeem Costume
- McDowell’s Employee T-shirt
- McDowell’s Employee of the Month Pin
- Randy Watson’s Tour T-shirt
- Zamunda Hoodie
Coming to America Movie Night Food
No Coming to America Themed Party would be complete without serving Big Micks as well! We love this recipe because it’s simple and delicious!
We also recommend serving classic American staple like potato chips, apple pies, French fries, and soda!
No Coming to America Themed Party would be complete without serving McDowell's Big Micks as well! Just make sure to avoid sesame seed buns since McDonald's uses those!
- 1 lb. 80/20 ground beef
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP pepper
- ½ TBSP onion powder
- 3 hamburger buns
- 3 TBSP Thousand Island dressing
- ½ tomato, sliced
- 3 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 3 slices American cheese
- ½ onion, sliced
- Mix together your beef, salt, and pepper.
- Divide the meat into three flat patties. Pat them into 3 flat patties. Wrap them in aluminum foil.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Place the trivet inside with your patties (in aluminum) on the trivet.
- Close the lid on your IP. Close the sealing valve. Set your IP to High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes has finished, do a quick release.
- Remove the patties from the aluminum foil.
- Assemble your burgers. Add your secret sauce (thousand island dressing) to the bottom bun. Add your tomato, lettuce, burger, cheese, and onion slice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 3011mgCarbohydrates: 34gNet Carbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 20g
Nutrition is only an approximate and may not be accurate.