Movie night is a great way to spend time with your friends. But if you’re practicing social distancing or just live too far away from your friends to come together for a movie, there’s no reason to put your movie night on hold. Hosting a virtual movie night is a great way to enjoy a movie with your friends without leaving the comfort of your home.
What is a Virtual Movie Night?
A virtual movie night is similar to a traditional movie night, where you get together with your friends to watch a movie and eat snacks. The only difference is that a virtual movie night takes place online instead of a central location. That means you and your friends all watch the same movie in your own homes, while chatting online or on the phone.
A virtual movie night is a great option when you can’t get together with your friends but still want to watch a movie as a group. Luckily, it’s easy to host a long distance movie night thanks to today’s technology!
4 Quick Tips on How to Do a Movie Night Online
Hosting a movie night online with your friends is so simple. In fact, there are four easy steps you can take to enjoy a movie night together, no matter where all your friends are located.
- Set a date. The first step to getting a movie night started is to pick a date for the event. Ask your friends what day works for them, then send an online invite to make sure everyone can attend. And if you want to make it a standing event, make sure to let your friends know what day of the week or month you’ll be holding your movie nights in the future.
- Pick your platform. There are a variety of streaming options that will allow you to watch a movie together with your friends. Picking the best platform for your online movie party will be based on the movie you want to watch, the streaming platforms available to everyone in the party, and the available options you want for your own party.
- Make some snacks. You can’t have a movie night without snacks! Make sure to have plenty of snacks planned for your event. And if you want to get all your movie viewers into the snacking fun, why not send them their own movie snacks in the mail ahead of movie night?
- Start the movie. Once everyone is settled in with their favorite movie treats, you can start the movie. But before you start watching, make sure to set some ground rules for movie viewing. Will people be allowed to talk during the movie? Can you text each other instead of talking to avoid disruptions? Will you be discussing the movie via video chat after the film is over?
We also love to pick a couple of recipes for everyone to make! We love these movie-inspired foods!
5 Awesome Online Movie Night Options
Setting up your own online movie night will depend on the platform you choose. And since there are a variety of online movie viewing options, you and your guests will have plenty of options when it comes to the streaming service you choose and the movie you watch.
With thousands of movies to choose from, Netflix is a popular choice for an online movie night. Netflix allows users to create a watch party directly in the platform if the users are viewing the movie on a computer. If you would rather watch Netflix on your phone or television, you can also use Netflix Party to create a watch party for your virtual movie night.
Another great option for your viewing party is Hulu. You can choose from a variety of movies on the platform or access premium channel add-ons, like HBO Max and Showtime, for even more movie options. Like Netflix, Hulu allows viewers to create a watch party through their computer platform.
3. Amazon Prime
To watch new releases during your online movie night, Amazon Prime is a great choice. This option is only available to Prime members. And each member of the viewing party must rent or buy the movie you plan to watch before they can join the party.
While you may think this platform is just for kids, there is a variety of great movies you can watch with your friends on Disney+ through the GroupWatch feature. Since this platform is home to Marvel and Star Wars movies, you’ll find a variety of great options for adults. And Disney is the only platform that allows watch parties on a television or phone, making it a great choice for an online viewing party.
Instead of using a streaming service to view your movie, you can also play a movie you already own with the help of Kosmi. This free app allows you to screen video by sharing your screen. That means you can stream a movie you already own or movies from streaming sites, whether or not everyone in the party has access to that platform.
Have you tried a long distance movie night with friends yet?
If you have, we’d love to know how it went! You can comment below or tag us on Instagram @movienightsathome.
You may also like:
- Home Movie Night Essentials & Ultimate Checklist!
- The Ultimate Christmas Movies List (61 Ideas + Printables!)
Leave a Reply